Monday, October 20, 2008

On Why It's Hard to be a Mom

I have to say, being a mom is hard work. Although Emma is by all accounts an extremely brilliant little girl (no bias here), I find that she rarely wants to do the things I want to do. Many dreams I had when that little girl came into the world have been dashed by whining cries of "I don't want to do that!" OR "I don't like that!". Emma has a way of doing things the way she wants to do them, which really, how can I fault her for that? It reminds me so much of someone I know very well. The girl has attitude for miles, for a four-year old, the personality is pretty strong. I find myself at odds with her regularly. Which is, well, just exhausting! I would like to let go and go with the flow, but it's just not in me to do that. My issue I suppose, not hers.

I read so many blogs regarding motherhood, and how much parents enjoy their children. I try, really I do, but I'll be honest, it takes work to enjoy being a mom. Not all rainbows and butterflies for sure!

I have to wonder, did I give my mom these problems? I was an only child after all, perhaps I scared her away from having more. Lord knows I am on the fence. I just don't have the energy to take the task on again.

On a positive note, I do love Emma to pieces and would inflict bodily harm to the one that hurts her physically or emotionally, because I am, after all, still her mama.

No comments:

Post a Comment