Friday, September 11, 2009

Thoughts on Today

I watched this morning, on MSNBC, a real time re-broadcast of 9/11. It was eerie and strange to watch the events unfold as they did that day on this day eight years ago. I remember where I was, what I was doing and the incredible emotions I experienced that day. As I reflected on my personal experience, I thought about the world I live in today. How torn we are as a nation between right-wing and left-wing. How quickly people are to take sides on issues, with vehement passion, often forgetting that in order to have peace you must have compromise.

For a time, our country experienced a unity, a common goal. We stood by each other and supported one another, and we were strong. It was extremely short-lived. Conspiracy theories, disgust with our government, and endless nattering from all sides, that is what came soon after.

How easily people forget.

For me, it's important to say out loud these things, because I can:

Regardless of how you fall in the political opinion, respect the man (or woman) who was hired to lead. This does not mean you have to like everything he says.
We are a government for the people and by the people, The government should not have their own agenda, rather, be working on the agenda of those who put them in a position of leadership.
Do not ever think that one person cannot change things.
You can't please all the people all the time, but at no time should the majority be ignored.
Work toward a common goal using good sense and compromise.
Love one another as human beings who are capable of incredible goodness.

No comments:

Post a Comment