Monday, March 16, 2009

Day Two - Intro to the Pre-Made Meal

A real time saver in my house is the pre-made meal. Not the kind you buy already in a package either. One of my family's favorite things to eat is Pioneer Woman's Chicken Spaghetti Casserole. You can make it the old fashioned way, or the quick and dirty way like me.
First and foremost, I make this casserole on a Sunday and put it in the freezer. It takes about 20 minutes to prep. Winner, winner, chicken dinner.

Oh, don't let me forget to mention my favorite kitchen tool . The chopper. Major timesaver! (Also, we are a garlic lovin' family, so you will see some little garlics hangin' out on the board there).
I don't boil a whole cut up fryer. I boil a few chicken breasts, which takes about 10 minutes and I buy chicken stock. I also use frozen bell peppers which are already cut and come in beautiful colors. They never go bad and we use them in other things like stir fry. We omit the pimentos because my girl doesn't like pimentos. Who really likes pimentos anyway? It sound too much like pimple and that's not appetizing. I also grate my own cheese. Those bags of pre-shredded cheese are convenient, but whoo-hoo are they pricey. Block of cheese, 5.50 at Sam's Club. 160z package of cheese $2.75. You do the math.
Put it all together per PW's instructions and put it in the freezer (or fridge). Ready made meal when you get home. Could dinner really be this easy?

Ingredient list:
Spaghetti (cheap) Canned soup (cheap) onion (cheap) Frozen peppers (way cheap) Cheese ( a little less cheap) and Chicken (listen, not everything can be darn near free).

Summing it all up, this is a pretty cheap (did I say that already?) and easy family meal that can be ready in less time than it takes to drive to the restaurant and order.

No comments:

Post a Comment