Sunday, November 1, 2009

I Love to Read!

One of the things I have been looking forward to since Emma started school was receiving the Scholastic book flier. Waiting may be a slight understatement, more like the anticipation was so great I almost peed my pants when it came home in her backpack. I flipped through the thin colored newspaper drooling over the possibilities. I had decided, long before Emma started school, that she would have the opportunity to do the thing I was never permitted. Purchase one item of her choosing from every flier. Oh how I longed to have those books when I was a child, so envious of the kids who would come to school with their order forms filled out and a check stapled to the upper left hand corner.

The first thing that caught my eye was Hello Reading! a complete set of phonics driven learning narrated by none other that Hello Kitty herself. If anything will get Emma excited to read, it would be Hello Kitty. She has been surrounded by books since infancy and has most every classic children's book you can think of. She loves the idea of books, but strangely, not the act of reading. Sometimes I wonder if I actually birthed that kid.

It was a wonderful experience, seeing that booklet filled with reading material, choosing a treasure and now anticipating it's arrival. I was nostalgic and gleeful.

Emma? She thinks her mother is strange.

No comments:

Post a Comment